did you know II
- To prevent a sparkling wine from foaming out of the glass, pour an ounce,
will not foam as much.
- Old wine almost never turns to vinegar. It spoils by oxidation.
- In 1999 Merlot was the "hot" varietal, but 50 years earlier in 1949, the "darlingof the California wine industry" was Muscatel.
- A 1889 newspaper that described the Napa Valley crop as the finest of its kind grown in the U.S., was referring to hops.
- Wine has so many organic chemical compounds it is considered more complex than blood serum.
- 170 years - the average age of a French oak tree harvested for use in wine
- Portugal has 1/3 of the world's cork forests and supplies about 90% of the cork
used in the U.S.
- Beaujolais Nouveau cannot be legally released until the third Thursday of every November. In 2003 the date is Nov. 20th.
- 20 million acres are planted to grapes worldwide?
- Worldwide wine grapes as a crop rank #1 in number of acres planted.
- 30 million gallons of wine were lost in the 1906 San Francisco earthquake.
- There are 10,000 varieties of wine grapes worldwide.
- The 19th century American poet, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, mentions wine more than 300 times in his works.